Sunday, October 1s5, 2023
10ish Mile, 20ish Mile and 50K Foot Race
A lot of elevation.
A lot of fun.
Welcome to the Scioto Trail Challenge. The Rocks and Roots Trail Runners Association invites you to join us at the Scioto Trail State Forest in Ross County. Winding forest roads with beautiful views await you on Sunday, October 1st, 2023. All races start at 8:00AM.
Did we mention hills? For those from North Central Ohio, it may be a little bit hilly, thus the Challenge. You can choose from the following distances: 10 miler, 20 miler, and 50K.
While out on the route keep your eyes open, first for the scenic views, second for the elusive wild turkeys and red fox.
There will be plenty of parking on-site though we do suggest carpooling. Overnight camping is also available on site. Check out the full details below, and if you’re up for the Challenge, register today!
What, when, where, why!
The Scioto Trails Challenge offers a wide variety of distances from 10 miler, 20 miler, and 50K. The course is a beautiful, hilly mix of gravel roads, and single track trails. Sweeping views of the Scioto River valley and surrounding areas all through the course. Join us at the RnR crew’s favorite home away from home!
What: 10 miler, 20 miler, and 50K Trail Race
When: Sunday, October 1st. All distances start at 8:00am.
Where: Scioto Trail State Park The start and finish area is located at 411 Airport Rd, Chillicothe, OH 45601.
Camping: Scioto Trail State Park has two separate camping areas; Caldwell Lake Campground is steps from the start/finish line and has electric hook ups. Stewart Lake Campground is approximately 1 mile from the start/finish line and has non-electric sites only. Limited on-site camping available through ODNR.
Cost: Our races typically sell out 2-6 weeks prior to race day. This race has a registration cap of 300 participants.
- Through May 31 – $45
- June 1 – June 30 – $50
- July 1 – July 31 – $55
- August 1 – August 31 – $60
- September 1 – September 30 – $65
- Race Day – $70
What do you get?
- 10 miler, 20 miler, and 50K Trail Race
- Event Shirt
- Finisher’s Medal
Packet pickup will be held as follows:
- Thursday, September 28th through Friday, September 29th from 11am-7pm at Fleet Feet Lewis Center located at 1270 E Powell Rd, 43035
- Saturday, September 30th at Scioto Trail State Park Caldwell Lake Campground at cabin 001 from 4pm-7pm.
- Race day at the start/finish area located at 411 Airport Rd, Chillicothe, OH 45601 from 6am-7:30am.
The start/finish of the race is located at 411 Airport Rd, Chillicothe, OH 45601. Watch for Fleet Feet arrows pointing you in the right direction to parking just beyond the start/finish line!
The course is a lovely mix of gravel road and single track with a healthy dose of big climbs and downhills to bomb down!
Roughly 90% of this course is on well maintained fire roads, offering a non-technical “trail” race experience. The views are incredible! At the 9.5 mile mark for each lap you turn off the gravel and onto single and double track bridle trails, which will take you to the 11 mile mark before returning to the start/finish area.
And yes, we lied a little about the distance… each lap is roughly 11.3 miles. You get extra credit points! 50Kers, we’d apologize but we know you’re glutton’s for punishment. You will curse the big rascals you climb up, and just when you want to quit you’ll find yourself flying back downhill! And, then you’ll go back up. You’ll thank us later!
- Scioto Trail Challenge Course Map – Repeat as necessary for 20 Mile & 50K course. 50Kers will have an additional mile added on after their third loop to finish up their 50K. And yes friends, the route is a skosh long. In working with ODNR to ensure runner safety we have moved the start/finish area to the group camp area on Airport Road, which brings the loop to 11.3 miles.
- The course closes for 50Kers at 4:00pm (8 hour limit – 15:27 pace for 50K). All 50K participants must begin their 3rd lap before 1:20pm. (Keep in mind loop is roughly 10 miles meaning you’ll run approximately 32 miles for the 50K.)
Results & Photos
2022 – Results